Wednesday, July 23, 2008

HTC Fusion. The Bad News


I woke up the other morning despising my mobile phone. I'd been forced to spend some time without my HTC 5800 from Bell Mobility. In its stead I'd gone back to my old Palm Treo 650.I only just picked up the HTC device last October, and I'd realized almost right away that I didn't like it. I suppose I got suckered into its fancy slide-out keyboard. Of course, it's far less bulkier than the Treo, and doesn't have an antennae, so I recall that being a bonus. Over time, however, I've grown to absolutely despise this device. Here's why: Windows Mobile. This is a most lame excuse for a mobile OS. Rather than ask, "How can we enable a positive mobile experience for users?", Microsoft seems more intent on replicating the Windows experience in one's hand, warts and all. This concept is highlighted when you consider how un-Mac-like the iPhone is, as it's more about a unique mobile user experience. The dongle. Never again will I buy a device that has a dongle to enable a proprietary data port to interface with USB. If I ever lose this damned dongle (and I temporarily have, from time to time), I'm screwed, as it's essentially for charging and syncing the device. Words to live by: dongles are evil. The battery. If I'm lucky, I'll get an hour or two of talk time out of this thing. Standby? Maybe 20 hours. And that's on the decrepit 1X network in the Horse. When I visit Vancouver and do a lot of data, the device needs to be charged twice daily. The cute noises. In general, I can turn off most noises on this device. However, no matter what I do, I can't kill the cute little dingily noise the damn thing makes whenever I slide open the keyboard or shut it. And trust me, it's a lame noise. I guess to help this cell phone some HTC Fusion accessories should help it.

No comments: